Bell Pepper Salad (capsicum) with Grilled PolentaMarch 26, 2008
Honey Baked Ham and Mozarella Cheese StarterApril 14, 2008
Ask me what a clafoutis is 5 months ago, I would have answered you “Uh?” until I wasÂ eagerlyÂ looking forward toÂ recipes byÂ pastry chef Anna Olson on ‘Sugar’ during my last trimester, only then I knew what this lovelyÂ dessert was all about.
The truth is whenÂ I wasÂ 15kg heavier thenÂ myÂ normal self and craving for sugar high, any desserts that need minimum handling will rank highest on my list! CLAFOUTIS is one of them.
- Preheat Healsio or Oven at 180 degree celsius.
- Pour cream into a thick bottom saucepan. Slice vanilla pod into 2, lengthwise and scrap out all the seeds. Throw in seeds and pod into the cream and heat gently for 2 -3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour in the fresh milk and strain into a clean bowl and leave to cool.
- With an electric beater whisk eggs, sugar and slowly add flour. Pour this batter into the cooled cream, add brandy or kirsch and drained cherries. Fold all contents evenly with a spatula.
- Pour into a prepared round dish approx.Â 23 cm in diameterÂ and bake for 40 minutes or until slightly golden on top. Note : The dish you bake in, maybe the one you want to serve the clafoutis in.
- Leave clafoutis to cool and dust with a generous amount of icing sugar. Clafoutis can be scooped out with a serving spoon.
200 ml thick double cream
1 vanilla pod
125 ml fresh milk
3 large eggs
50 gm castor sugar
100Â gm plain flour
1 Tbsp Brandy or Kirsch (optional)
1 can dark pitted cherries in syrup (drained)
icing sugar (for dusting)