Salted Mustard Cabbage Duck Soup (Kiam Chai Ark)January 25, 2007
Twice-Cooked Fish HeadMarch 27, 2007
Chicken soup is universally known as a “get well” soup. There are so many ways to make chicken soup. Today, I shall highlight a very nutritious soup called “Black Bean Chicken Soup”.
This soup is widely brewed for new mothers in confinement. ‘Confinement’ here means a period of timeÂ a new mother rests and replenishes her body with herbal vitamins which is believed to assist in getting her body back to good health after childbirth.Â During confinement, skinless black chicken isÂ preferred but as for daily consumption, chicken breast or a small free-range skinless chicken can be used.
Black beans are sold in grams, organic and non-organic, whichever used is perfectly fine. This soup is supposed to help our body build up new blood cells and invigorate blood circulation, specially recommended for those who are anemic. Black beans are also high in protein which makes it aÂ good choice of soupÂ for children.
1 skinless chicken breast (cut into 4 pieces, blanche in boiling water)
300 gm black beans
3 slices of old ginger (juliennne)
1.5 litre filtered water
1 Tbsp sesame oil (* for confinement brewing)
sea salt (optional)
- Bring 1.5 litres of filtered water to boil in a pot.
- Heat wok * and throw in the julienne ginger. Stir 1 minute. Pour in all the black beans and stir constantly for 5 minutes, making sure it doesn’t burn. The beans will give out a slightly fragrant scent. Set aside to cool.
- Put the chicken breast into the pot of boiling water and pour in all the black beans. Bring to boilÂ then lower the heat and simmer soup for 2 hours. Make sure a good qualityÂ pot with a lid is usedÂ so that the liquidÂ will not evaporate much. A slow cooker can also be used.
- Brew soup until the black beans turn soft, add a little sea salt to taste. Black beans can also be eaten.
* Please note the asterisk. If this soup is brewed for confinement purposes, sesame oil is added before frying the ginger and black beans. More ginger can be added to rid flatulence after birth.