The traditional barley drink is a popular thirst quencher which you can order in any coffeeshops in Malaysia. It is as popular as “Lemonade” in some countries. This is a twist from this traditional drink, which makes it so desirable to have on a hot sunny day.
Ingredients (serves 6 – 8 glasses)
1.5 litre of filtered water
3 Tbsp barley pearls (rinsed)
rock sugar (depends on your level of sweetness required)
water and flesh of 2 young coconuts (chilled)
- Boil barley pearls in filtered water for 50 minutes on low to moderate fire.
- Add rock sugar and boil for another 10 more minutes until all sugar is dissolved.
- Leave the barley drink to cool. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Fill the serving glasses 1/3 full with barley drink.
- Slice the lemon into rings and fill the partially full servingÂ glasses with freshly chilled coconut water and scrape in some coconut flesh. Drop 1 or 2 slices of lemon and top up with some ice cubes.